In this post, we’ll be looking at some of The best small rice cooker reviews for your home cooking needs, so that you can make an informed decision on which little kitchen helper is the perfect fit for you.
Because there are so many brands, types and sizes of cookers available, it’s not easy to decide which one suits your requirements ideally.
That’s why we’ve scoured the web and chosen 5 of the most popular rice cookers available today, giving you a quick bird’s eye view of each appliance and an actual user account of his or her experience using these gadgets.
Give these small rice cooker reviews a thorough read, then see which one fits your requirements best.
Top 5 Best Small Rice Cooker Reviews
1. Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
At a glance
- For 2-3 individuals, ideal for single servings, side dishes
- Instant Pot Duo Mini, the ideal companion to the Instant Pot Duo, the number # 1 selling multi-cooker, combines 7 kitchen appliances in 1, Rice Cooker, Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer.
- Perfect for smaller families or to make a small dish for two, side dish or while traveling such as camping, traveling by RV, boating, sailing, hotel excursions Cooks up to 12 Cups of rice (Cooked), 6 Cups of rice (uncooked)
- Features 11 Smart Programmable digital controls – Rice, Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Sauté, Porridge, Steam, Slow Cook, Yogurt, Keep Warm, and Pressure Cook
- Note: The Instant Pot Duo Mini max capacity is 6 cups uncooked rice (12 cups cooked), please use the rice measuring cup that comes with the Duo Mini.
- Up to 24 hour delay start, automatic Keep Warm up to 10 hours, and sound ON/OFF..10 Safety Mechanisms – UL and ULC certified
- Stainless steel (18/8) inner cooking pot, food grade 304, no chemical coating, 3-ply bottom dishwasher safe.
- Accessories include: Rice measuring cup, stainless steel steam rack without handles, rice paddle, soup spoon, condensation collector and recipe booklet. To maximize performance of cooker only use genuine Instant Pot accessories.
Actual User Experience
“I use this for everything! How did I live without this before???I live in a Sprinter van full-time and was using an induction burner for cooking, but since I’ve gotten this little gem, I haven’t used the induction burner once!
This is so easy to use, and it’s the perfect size for one or two people. I’ve been making a lot of stews, and I’ll saute the onions, carrots, and meat (if I’m using meat) then add everything else, seal it, and set it for 7 minutes on high pressure. I let it release naturally and have a perfectly cooked, tasty meal every time. This gives me enough for 4 or 5 servings.
I also quick soaked beans the other day by covering them with water, hitting pressure for 5 min. then letting it release naturally and let it sit (not on keep warm) for a couple of hours.
I’ll often make dinner right after I reheat my lunch, and make sure the keep warm function is on. I’m able to drive with it in my sink and have a hot, healthy, delicious meal waiting for me when I’m done driving.
I’ve even baked banana bread in it!!! So exciting, because I don’t have an oven. It turned out SO good! I used one of the containers and the lid from my To-Go Ware stainless steel lunch container to bake it in on the rack.
Because this cooks so quickly, it is very easy on my solar system. I can reheat leftovers on saute in 4 minutes, and it’s only drawing 67a while it’s on.
I did have a VitaClay, that I absolutely loved for making beans, and especially bone broth, but it takes much longer to cook and is heavier. So, more battery drain, more storage space, and more weight as compared to the Instant Pot Mini and the Mini wins on each count!“– Small rice cooker reviews contributor: The Galavan
2. Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer
At a glance
- Micro computerized fuzzy logic technology.Capacity Up to 5.5 cups / 1.0 liter,Dimensions (W x D x H) 10-1/8 x 14 x 8-1/2 inches
- Automatic keep warm, extended keep warm and reheating cycle
- Easy to clean clear coated stainless steel exterior, 2 delay time settings
- Interchangeable melody and beep signal
- Built in retractable power cord
Actual User Experience
“My household eats rice about 2+ times a week and we have owned about 4 $15 simple versions over the past 6 years. They have done every thing from boil over to scorch the rice if left in the pot for more than a half hour after cooking. I decided to pull the trigger and invest in a nice, programmable one that had multiple functions, and chose Zojirushi because my mom has the big bread machine and said it is fantastic.
I got the machine super quick and spent the entire weekend experimenting with it and holy cow!!! Well, this thing does more things I could imagine!!! I have made 2 cakes in it, made rice and steamed potstickers simultaneously, steamed pork buns, and even steamed a potato!!! I spent time surfing the net and found all sorts of recipes and tweaks people have made to make it better.
The machine is very sleek and streamlined and the cord is retractable!!! It comes with a clear instructions and a quick start guide showing you the right way to cook different types of rice. I also like that you can order replacement parts for the machine on their website instead of buying a whole new machine (like the steam basket, steam cap, and inner cooking pot).
Clean up is a breeze, it does not boil over (no more setting a plate under it to catch the overflow), and it keeps the rice warm at an optimal temperature so I can start the rice and go walk my dog and no worry about being back in time to turn off the machine so it does not burn while trying to stay “warm.”
This is an awesome machine and well worth the investment!!!“– Small rice cooker reviews contributor: Goofy Des
3. Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker
- Syncro-cooking function “tacook” makes it possible to cook main dish and rice at the same time
- One push operation
- 4 cooking menu settings (Synchrony-cooking/Plain rice/Brown rice/Slow cooking)
- Easy to clean non-stick coating inner pan
- Includes Non-stick spatula, Cooking plate, Measuring cup and Cookbook for using “Synchrony-cooking” function
Actual User Experience
“I never used a rice cooker before, however, my daughter who lived in Japan said that my solution to a bad crock pot was a Japanese rice cooker. She explained that you can cook much more than rice in it — and she was right!
We use the better rice (round rice – the basmati is the cheap rice – although they charge Americans a lot more for it — that Americans think is good because they use it in some Asian restaurants….) and round rice takes longer to cook — plus, I use brown round rice because I prefer brown.
I was amazed when my daughter showed me that I could cook a full meal in it! I put in the brown rice as directed, with the amount of water adjusted from white to brown. Then in the top insert I put cut up raw veggies and put in some curry sauce. I put it on synchro and in less than an hour I had a fully cooked meal that I didn’t have to do anything but put into the cooker!
Not only that, but you can use it as a slow cooker, and just put more things in the bottom bowl and not use the insert. You can make soups, curries, meats, fish, etc.
I am now a convert to a good rice cooker. I love that it puts it on warm. How it knows how to cook everything so evenly must be Japanese genius!
I also want to add that you need to carefully follow the instructions, because these are high-tech but delicate. My daughter explained why the rice must first be rinsed – because the foam that it produces from not being rinsed can ruin the electrical components. Just a “be careful and follow the directions” caution, because by doing it correctly, you get perfect food every time.“– Small rice cooker reviews contributor: Wisteria
4. Cuisinart CRC-400 Stainless Steel Rice Cooker
At a glance
- Cuisinart rice cooker steams rice, meats and vegetables
- Square modern shape finished in brushed stainless steel
- Stainless-steel steaming basket; glass lid; paddle and measuring cup
- Automatically switches to warm when cooking is done
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards. BPA Free
Actual User Experience
“I am thrilled I didn’t see the negative small rice cooker reviews (most of which are from over a year or more ago) until after I made the order. THIS PRODUCT IS AWESOME!!
I followed the very easy instructions in the user guide as well as taking their hint on spraying pot with non-stick cooking spray, made the maximum amount of rice and it came out PERFECT! no Boil-Overs at all. I didn’t have to resort to any of the “tricks” mentioned in previous small rice cooker reviews because this product performed just fine. Is it possible that Cuisinart may have fixed a previous flaw? I don’t know. All I know is that this made perfect rice, no mess.
Clean up… I have to mention this, when it came time to clean up dinner, the rice cooking bowl literally wiped clean. No sticking rice, NO mess whatsoever. The components are also dishwasher safe which is nice.
***UPDATE*** more than 8 months later…. I STILL LOVE MY RICE COOKER!!! Sits on my counter next to the Cuisinart coffee pot because we use this Rice cooker a lot! SO EASY even my teenagers can make rice! We have cooked several different kinds of rice using this appliance with no problems.
***5 year UPDATE**** UPDATE AGAIN 5 years later… I Still Love this RICE COOKER!! we use it often works great just like new. I expect it will be in our family for a long time. My daughter already wants it when she moves out.”
– Small rice cooker reviews contributor: Bunnyfoo98
5. COSORI Mini 2 Qt Programmable Multi-Cooker
At a glance
- The Cosori Mini pressure cooker is designed for small households for easy storage and perfect for newlyweds, working professionals, students, and small families for up to 2-3 people; Easy to use and take for travelling & camping to save time, energy and leftovers at home and outside
- Replaces 7 common kitchen devices – Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté Pan, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer; make meals without the stress and cleanup of multiple pots and pans
- 13 Micro Processor-Controlled programs: Rice, Yogurt, Soup, Multigrain, Slow Cook, Bake, Steam, Sauté, Poultry, Beans, Meat/Stew, Porridge, Keep Warm. It’s the all-in-one solution for creating meals in the kitchen; cook up to 70% faster and save money with home-cooked meals
- Dishwasher-safe, food-grade stainless steel (18/8) inner pot, 3-ply stainless steel & aluminum base for strong thermal conductivity
- Accessories Included: Recipe book, a glass lid for slow cooking, steamer rack, rice spoon, ladle, measuring cup, extra silicone sealing ring for extended lifetime; quick and easy online recipes to get your pressure cooking journey started
- ETL, CETL, FCC & FDA-approved; 9 safety mechanisms ensure safe operation for daily use by beginners or professionals
Actual User Experience
“This is my first electric pressure cooker ever…..WHY did I wait so long?
A friend of mine has one and he has been extrolling its virtues for years. I always pooh-poohed getting one until finally “the time was right,” because I had a stovetop pressure cooker and a slow cooker, and in my tiny kitchen…. where would I put it? Well, since I don’t think I’ll be camping in the Grand Tetons any time soon, it was time to retire the aluminum pressure cooker to the garage with the rest of the camping gear, and donate the slow cooker to the thrift store, because this pressure cooker fits a lot of bills.
Thus far I have done a roast, bread, stews/soups, beans, chili, pasta sauce, and squashes….and that was just the first weekend. I also cook up some meals for my 94-year old neighbor, so being able to cook microwave-reheatable meals or other proteins so quickly and easily for myself and him has been a dream.
What do I like about it? First of all, very attractive and goes with my black & stainless kitchen decor, yet fast and efficient without using a lot of gas (stove) and putting excess heat in the kitchen. In nicer weather I can plug it in outdoors and cook on the comfort of my deck instead of being trapped inside. One of my fave things is that little red light that indicate what setting you’re using it on.
Do I have any complaints? Well, yeah….a couple….but NOT about the operation or quality of the machine. I wish the cord was just a few inches longer, so as to give it more flexibility where it is used. The “manual” is not written for the first-time pressure cooker users, and cooking “guidelines” were pretty flimsy. An experienced pro may know what the water cup is for and where it goes, but I didn’t (fortunately two very nice Cosori owners were kind enough to answer my novice question within 15 minutes of asking the question — Thanks Guys!). I subsequently found some YouTube videos and those were quite helpful.
So, better late than never, and all I can say to my friend with an electric pressure cooker is…..Ha ha….mine’s nicer than yours!!
Also, I’ve included a couple of photos of my very first cooking projects in the Cosori. Fortunately my cooking skills with my new pressure cooker are superior to my photography skills. That round thing is “coffee can soda bread” that I made from a recipe I found on the internet….pretty darn good for a total of almost 45 minutes from sifting the flour to plopping on a few slabs of butter!
Oh man, I just love this pressure cooker, and I think you will too.”
– Small rice cooker reviews contributor: LBBP
Summary of the Best Small Rice Cooker Reviews
So these are the 5 best small rice cooker reviews we’ve put together, based on actual user feedback.
If you have a small family and need to just make meals for a few people, then any of these will do a good job.